Faulty spinal dynamics are often a cause of severe back pain. Faulty spinal alignment, over a period of time, will cause gradual weakening of disc fibers and other ligaments. In this weakened condition, all it takes is a simple movement, such as reaching into the cupboard, for an injury to occur.
When such an incident occurs:
- Lie down immediately in any position that is comfortable.
- Place an ice pack directly to the area of pain, cover with a towel, and keep in place for 20-30 minutes. (If you do not have an ice pack, place 6-10 ice cubes in a plastic bag.) This will hurt at first, but after several minutes the area will be desensitized and you will feel better. Do not remove the pack for 20-30 minutes. Reapply the ice as instructed by your doctor.
- Call your chiropractic physician and make arrangements to go to the office as soon as possible. In some cases, it may be suggested that you remain at home in bed for a period of time.
- Do not sit in a recliner of any kind, as this will aggravate the condition.
- Maintain a positive outlook. Under chiropractic care, back injury conditions usually respond favorably. However, it takes time, so be patient. Let your chiropractic physician determine what is best for your situation.