Faulty spinal dynamics are often a cause of severe back pain. Faulty spinal alignment, over a period of time, will cause gradual weakening of disc fibers and other ligaments. In this weakened condition, all it takes is a simple movement, such as reaching into the cupboard, for an injury to occur.
When such an incident occurs, the following measures should be taken:
1) Lie down immediately in any position that is comfortable.
2) Place a cold pack directly to the area of pain, cover with a towel, and keep the pack in place for 20-30
minutes. (If you do not have a cold pack, you can place 6-10 ice cubes in a plastic bag.)
This will hurt at first, but after several minutes the area will be desensitized and you will feel better. Do not
remove the pack until 20-30 minutes have elapsed. Reapply the ice as instructed by your doctor.
3) Call your chiropractic doctor and make arrangements to go to the office as soon as possible. In some cases,
it may be suggested that you remain at home in bed for a period of time.
4) Do not sit in a recliner of any kind, as this will aggravate the condition.
5) Maintain a positive outlook. Under Chiropractic care, back injury conditions usually respond favorably.
However, it takes time, so be patient. Let your doctor of Chiropractic determine what is best for your
One of the most beneficial things you can do to prevent a back injury is to routinely seek Chiropractic care, even when feeling good. This is a great way to maintain good health and help correct minor misalignments before they can cause a severe injury!